Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Playoff Predictions: First Round

Brewers vs. Phillies: I like both these teams. There are nice young stars on both squads. I feel that the Phillies have the edge since they were in the playoffs last years and they have an idea what went wrong. Also, Sabathia can’t start game 1, and Sheets is done for the year, so those are big minuses for the Brewers. I’d say Phillies in 4, but I wouldn’t be sad if the Brewers managed to pull this off.

Dodgers vs. Cubs: The Cubs have much better pitching and the home field advantage, but they are the Cubs. This is essentially the same squad that got swept last year by the Diamondbacks, and that shouldn’t have happened. Manny is motivated, and that’s dangerous. But Joe Torre hasn’t gotten out of the first round of the playoffs since 2004. It would be interesting if he did so now, eh? But I say Cubs in 5.

Red Sox vs. Angels: I hate the Red Sox, but the Angels will probably find a way to lose this series. The Angels haven’t played a meaningful game all year, and I think some of their guys are hurt, but not as bad as last year with Garret Anderson getting pink eye, of all things. I’d like the Angels to win this one, but I’ll reluctantly say Red Sox in 5.

White Sox vs. Rays: The White Sox suck. The way they played down the stretch was pitiful. I was sad that the Twins lost yesterday, but either team is inferior to the Rays. The Rays have better pitching and younger, more athletic players. The only thing that could stop them would be if they get psyched out, or their manager, who has never managed an important game, drops the ball. Rays in 4.

No comments: