Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Israeli Army Hates D&D


From Wired.com:

The fact of the matter is that when you're an Israeli soldier pinned down in a trench by Lebanese snipers, you really don't want to see your commander pull out his D20s and making his agility roll for dodge. That's not a Beholder you're facing there, Sarge.


The Israeli Army knows this. And that's why every D&D enthusiast who joins the Israeli army is automatically given a low security clearance and viewed as unrealiable, subpar soldiers.


Israeli officials view a fondness for Dungeons and Dragons as being indicative of a delusional mind, RPGers are out of touch with reality. "The game indicates a weak personality," one security official said. "One of the tests we do, either by asking soldiers directly or through information provided us, is to ask whether they take part in the game," he added. "If a soldier answers in the affirmative, he is sent to a professional for an evaluation, usually a psychologist." Also, a strip club.



ROFL! If the U.S. Army didn't let in Roleplayers, video gamers and comic book enthusiasts, let me tell you, they'd have no one. ;)

Actually, in the original article, the real beef wasn't with D&D, it was with Live Action Role Playing (LARP), but it's still funny.

Read more...

5 comments:

A Army Of (Cl)One said...

If someone tried to do that to me, I'd judt cast a Cloud Mind spell, then have my thief sneak past (only needs a 7 on a d20) to steal my file. Then it would be off to the City of Greyhawk for me.

Michelle Pessoa said...

I liked the Greyhawk campaign setting. I still have all of my old modules. I liked the ones where you fought the giants. ;)

Jardena said...

I dunno, maybe they should get more specific, maybe put the bezerkers on the front line, let the Rangers go covert ops and label the Bard a 'don't ask don't tell' case.

I think if they play Hackmaster, they should absolutely let them in, the chance of your kit failing and you dying a horrible painful death is probably pretty similar between the game and being involoved in the middle east conflict.

But LARP people are good for a laugh. I got dragged along to a Star Wars LARP and it was the first time I'd ever been involved in the game. I was so confused.

A Army Of (Cl)One said...

*Geek Alert*

My Nephew and some of his friends (all 4th grader) have recently discoved D&D. So I have been being a DM and playing again for the first time in 20 years.

And we are doing Greyhawk campaign.

Michelle Pessoa said...

I'm amazed that kids that age would want to play a paper and dice game. Aren't they disappointed about the lack of video game effects? Or do they bring their laptops to the game sessions? ;)