Saturday, March 19, 2005

Good Novels & Bad Novels Part 2

I found the original list for the exercise I mentioned yeaterday. Below are the things I left out.

Elements of Novels I Like
  • Characters who are shamed in some way.
  • Descriptions of beauty.
  • Injustice.
  • Growth, negative or positive.
  • Fear.
  • Realism.
  • Emotion.
  • Dialogue. At least one quoteable line.
  • Flawed people.
  • Societies in conflict.
  • Parents and (adult) children.
  • Complex family dynamics.
  • Well-researched settings.
  • Fairy tale motifs.
  • War.

Elements of Novels I Don't Like
  • More prose than dialogue.
  • Characters with no doubts.
  • Characters with unreasonable doubts.
  • Borrowed settings and/or characters.
  • Racist or sexist authors.
  • Flaws in logic.
  • Bad science.

No comments: