Friday, March 18, 2005

What, to you, makes a good novel?

I found No Plot, No Problem to be a bit simple for me, but I did do the "what is a good novel/what isn't a good novel" exercise.

I discovered that I like the following in a novel:
  • The main character must undergo either mental or physical pain.
  • A beloved character is unjustly injured or killed.
  • The main character has to overcome some inherent limitations.
  • I like novels in which the characters have to travel.
  • I like chapter titles.
  • I like historical or fantasy settings.
  • I like romance that leaves something to the imagination.
  • Tragedy.
  • Loss.
  • Rational villains.
  • Hard-won victories.
  • Exotic cultures.
  • Political intrigue.

I don’t like:
  • School stories.
  • Courtroom stories.
  • Dialogue that can’t be said out loud.
  • Complicated fight scenes or battle scenes.
  • Precocious children.
  • Comedies.
  • Novels that are over 500 pages.
  • First-person narration.
  • Children or animals being abused.
  • Old people as the protagonists.
  • Insanity.
  • Characters that screw for no reason.
  • Smartasses.
  • Stupid women.

No comments: