Because of the recent hurricanes and the ever-present threat of terrorist attacks, I decided I needed to prepare a “go” bag. The idea with a go bag is you stuff a backpack ahead of time with everything you think you’ll need and leave it by the door so you can scoop it up while you’re fleeing for your life.
This is some of what FEMA recommends you need in a disaster kit:
- One gallon of water per person per day
- At least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- A first aid kit
- Non-prescription drugs
- Mess kits, or paper cups, plates and plastic utensils
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Toilet paper
- Feminine supplies
- Household chlorine bleach
- Sturdy shoes or work boots
- Blankets or sleeping bags
And a whole lot more.
The full list is here.
So if you set aside everything you’ll really need, you’re talking about a couple duffle bags, right? That’s not very convenient unless you can count on some young people with strong backs in your family. And of course, the more people you've got, the more water and food you need to go around.
Still, psychologically, you feel like you’ve got a fighting chance to live if you get some of this stuff together while you still can. Since I’m too lazy to buy all this stuff separately and assemble it, I took the easy way out and bought a pre-made “go” bag from these people.
This is what I got in my bag:
- 1 - Adult Size Backpack - (Durable and High Quality! #1 Emergency Backpack Available)
- 2 - Large Emergency Space® Blanket
- 2 - Emergency Rain/Wind Poncho Adult Size
- 2 - Hand or Abdomen Warmers
- 1 - 12 hr. Instant Green Light Stick
- 1 - 12 hr. Instant Yellow Light Stick
- 1 - Survival Candle 36 hours
- 1 - Box of Waterproof Matches
- 1 - Flashlight (Solar, crank and battery - never out of power)
- 1 - Radio (Solar, crank and battery - never out of power)
- 1 - Whistle / Compass
- 1 - 54 Piece First Aid Kit
- 1 - Large Ace Bandage
- 1 - Large Cold Compress
- 1 - Bottle Germicidal Tablets – 50 Tablets
- 3 - Purified Drinking Water Squeeze Boxes
- 5 - Dust Masks
- 1 - 2400 Calorie Food Ration Bar
- 1 - Government Issue Survival Candy
- 12 - Wet Wipe Packets
- 2 - Tooth Brushes with Toothpaste
- 1 - Pack of Tissue Paper
- 1 - 13-Function Swiss Army Style Pocket Knife
Not bad, huh?
Next I’m going to buy a case of MREs and keep some in the car, some in the house and some in the “go” bag.
But you know what’s going to happen, right?
When the shit hits the fan, I’ll be caught in an elevator in midtown and all of this preparation will go for naught.