I'm still getting some stabbing pains from the c-section, and my feet are so incredibly swollen, it's scaring me. I can't flex my toes. It's frightening. I want my old feet back. :(
Other than that, I (mostly) feel okay.
Some observations from a new mommy:
- It took about two days for me to realize that it's not necessary to check to see if Orlando is breathing every two minutes. That was exhausting.
- Orlando never cries if he's soiled himself. He only feels it's important to alert me if he's hungry.
- This baby smiles a lot in his sleep. It's so comforting to see that. :)
- I was prepared for breastfeeding to not work out, and by God, it sure hasn't. When Orlando was immediately taken to the NICU and started on Similac, breastfeeding was doomed. He prefers the ease of a bottle and I don't blame him. The funny thing is, he still likes to frantically paw at my breasts and play like he's actually going to breastfeed, then he freaks out and frustrates himself because he has to work to extract milk.
- When the baby wails for food, I sometimes get a stabbing pain in my uterus. I read somewhere that this is some hard-wired physiological response.
- Orlando likes when my mom sings songs to him in Spanish. He focuses on her very intently.
- My dogs, Beren and Cricket, have done well with the baby so far. Cricket, the elder, mostly ignores the baby, but she likes to sniff his scent on my clothes. Beren has decided to be a guardian to the baby. If my mom is asleep and the baby wakes up and cries, Beren will go up to her and stand near her as if to will her to wake up and tend to the baby. This begs the question, why does he think she should tend to the baby and not me? What's up with that?? FROWN!
- Orlando had his first pediatric visit yesterday. I was worried that he wasn't drinking enough milk at each feeding, but he is now 7 lbs. 5 oz.! The pediatrician said to keep doing whatever it is I'm doing. That was a relief.
Thank you to everyone who sent kind email and posted well-wishes on my blog! I was (an am) a little stretched thin right now, so I can't respond to everyone, but I did appreciate the thoughtful comments!