Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Stuff that doesn’t bother me: Attack of The Clones

Anakin is too young for Padme: In AOTC, Anakin is 19 and Padme is 24. That’s not that bad. Would anyone have a problem with a 24-year-old Anakin and a 19 year-old Padme? Probably not. How come no one has a problem with 21-year-old Leia being pursued by 33-year-old Han in TESB? How about 30-year-old Han talking to Luke about wanting to get with 18-year-old Leia in ANH?

Mace decapitates Jango: I was reading a book review on Amazon and some guy bitched that it was wrong for Mace to kill Jango in front of his son, Boba. Are you fucking kidding me? Jango was behind two failed assassination attempts on Senator Amidala, he was working for Count Dooku (and by extension, Darth Sidious) and moments before Mace took him out, Jango had shot and killed a member of the Jedi Council. And he did that in front of his “son,” Boba, so obviously Jango had no problem with a youth witnessing violence.

The droid factory: I thought it was cool. I’m sure I’ve seen Mickey Mouse run on a conveyor belt just like that. It was very retro. I also thought it was a good venue for showing Anakin’s impressive telekinesis skills. Shit, it shows how much he was holding back when, as Vader, he battered Luke with pipes in Cloud City.

R2’s jet packs: It was unexpected and cute when he launched himself into the air to save Padme. I love R2. I hope I live long enough to own an R2 so he can save my ass whenever anything goes wrong. Why doesn’t he use jet packs in the OT, you ask? A subsequent owner removed them, of course. Probably after an escape attempt.

Our heroes are to be sacrificed: The arena battle where Dooku attempted to have three monsters slay and eat Anakin, Padme and Obi-Wan was over the top, but it really didn’t bother me. I probably like the arena sequence because Padme is shown to be as clever and resourceful as the Jedi. She picked the locks on her shackles, scooted up to the top of the pole and defended herself from the nasty rat creature. She’s the shit. In contrast, Princess Leia clearly isn’t as clever and resourceful as Luke and Han. The only clever thing she ever did was shoot a hole in a wall in the Death Star and urge her rescuers to leap into a garbage compactor.

Yoda vs. Dooku: Audiences are so jaded now, but everyone screamed in delight when Yoda came after Dooku, spinning like the Tasmanian Devil. It was a beautiful thing. He’s so freaking fast and he gives you no target. I wouldn’t fight Yoda. Hell no.

Anakin and Padme’s picnic: The picnic scene is the closest anyone in the movie comes to acting like regular people do. I like how Anakin wastes no time trying to find out if she’s ever been in love. Naturally, Padme decides to mess with his head by telling him this story about some artist kid she had a crush on when she was twelve. And you know Anakin is thinking, Let me find this asshole and fuck him up. Then Anakin gets her back by pretending to be seriously hurt when falling off the giant cow-beast. They’re messing with each other’s heads throughout that scene and it comes off pretty well.

3 comments:

J Hicks said...

A lot of people I know were pretty upset at the sight of venerable old Yoda bouncing off the walls like a Jedi Superball, and frankly I agree with them. In the original trilogy Yoda comments, "When 900 years old you reach, look so good you will not." So why was he bouncing around the hangar in his mid-800's and all decrepit all of a sudden at 900?

Michelle Pessoa said...

>>So why was he bouncing around the hangar in his mid-800's and all decrepit all of a sudden at 900?<<

Because the Emperor is going to beat Yoda down like a dog in Episode III.

J Hicks said...

Mmm. Good theory. I like it. Let's see. :)