The booklet I was given had the following stats about steep DWI penalties:
- Alaska: Takes away your car.
- Japan: You lose your license forever.
- Australia: The names of drunk drivers are printed under the heading “He’s drunk and in jail!” [I assume this is in a newspaper.]
- Bulgaria: A second conviction results in execution.
- El Salvador: No second chance. Execution by firing squad.
- England: $250 fine, one year suspension and one year in jail.
- France: $1000 fine, one year in jail and license revoked for three years.
- Malaysia: Jail. If the driver is married, his wife is also jailed.
I like the assumption for the last one that the driver must be male. Or is Malaysia one of those places where women are considered property and they can’t drive?