Former Major League Baseball player David Segui revealed Sunday that he used human growth hormone during his 15-year career and confirmed that former teammate Jason Grimsley identified him to federal agents as using illegal performance-enhancing drugs.I find the Jason Grimsley story fascinating. According to his lawyer, the Feds wanted him to wear a wire so that they could get some dirt on Bonds doing performance enhancing drugs (but he didn’t play with Bonds, so that’s a little odd). According to his lawyer he decided not to cooperate so they raided his house and found out he was on human growth hormone. He was a middle of the road pitcher, not a hulking slugger, not a star. This is yet another sign that performance-enhancing drugs must be rampant. There must be scores of guys just like him flying under the radar. These are guys fighting to make the roster, not guys who are trying to break records.
Now that Segui has come forward, I can't wait to see what happens next. Will the other players Jason named in his statement wait to be outed?
The USA Today article would have us believe that he just started taking HGH this year. But let's play "what if". What if someone else hooked him up years ago with HGH and/or other substances. Jason played for a bunch of teams. There are a lot of people he's been in contact with who had unexplained breakout years or who have had careers that lasted (maybe) a little too long. There are also people with addictive personalities (see below). There were the guys that looked a little too big. And there were guys that had fallen off that would've been looking for a way to stay in the game while moving from one team to another, year after year.
I'm wondering if some of the following people may be on his list:
- '89-'91 Phillies: Lenny Dykstra, Mike Schmidt (blasphemy to some, I know).
- '93-'95 Indians: Albert Belle, Glenallen Hill, Carlos Baerga, Manny Ramirez, Jim Thome, Sandy Alomar, Eddie Murray, Dave Winfield, Tony Pena, Orel Hershiser, Dennis Martinez. [I would look really closely at the Indians of the mid to late '90's.].
- '96 Angels: Jim Edmonds, Chili Davis, Troy Percival, Tim Salmon.
- '99-'00 Yankees: Chili Davis (again), Paul O'Neill (sacrilege!), Shane Spencer, Darryl Strawberry, Roger Clemens, Mike Stanton, Andy Pettitte, Jeff Nelson, Glenallen Hill (again), Roberto Kelly, Dwight Gooden, Chuck Knoblauch.
- '01-'04 Royals: Carlos Beltran, Jermaine Dye, Chuck Knoblauch (again), Benito Santiago, Juan Gonzalez, Jose Lima, Kevin Appier.
- '04-'05 Orioles: Rafael Palmiero, Melvin Mora, Miguel Tejada, Sidney Ponson, Sammy Sosa, B.J. Surhoff
- '06 Diamondbacks: Tony Clark, Luis Gonzalez, Shawn Greene.