Monday, February 07, 2005

BSG: Galactica in name only

As soon as they made Starbuck and Boomer and the President women, made Tigh a white drunk and made the Cylons able to pass for human, it was a given that the new BSG was "Galactica in name only." I don't have a problem with that, however.

We'll see Commander Kane next season. Everybody wants it. But what will he be like? The Kane in the original show had a personality that contrasted sharply with the Lorne Greene Adama. He was the shit. He was the one everyone was ready to die for. The Olmos Adama is more military and less scholarly. Now he's the shit. And Tom Zarek kinda fills the Kane role as the charismatic leader of an opposition movement.

Oh, let me guess.

They'll make Commander Kane a woman. And she'll compete with Starbuck for Apollo's affection.

I don't think we'll see Count Iblis. I don't think the creator of this version of the show wants to go overtly supernatural, though he does want to bring religion into the mix. I think we'll see the Gemonese religious zealots that were in the original show. If we see the Nomen, they'll look human. If the show lasts any amount of time they'll have to define the culture(s) of the different colonies.

Will we see any aliens? I'm not sure if I want to, but eventually they'll have to meet somebody. If the fleet meets any aliens, it'll be a first contact situation for the Colonials, I think.

No comments: