Thursday, February 10, 2005

"Lost" Me

The only show I watch on network TV is ABC's "Lost." It started out with a bang, but they started fucking it up almost immediately. They started repeating episodes before even five episodes had aired. They started showing episodes back to back. The pilot has been aired at least three times.

I think Lost is another Twin Peaks -- a fantasy show that got sold to the network execs on the strength of an imaginative pilot, but ultimately without substance. I don't believe even the writers know where the plot is going.

I've seen a lot of theories around the 'Net about what the "secret" of the show is. The most popular one is that the crash survivors are dead, but they don't know it. My theory was that they've stumbled across an island where some government or corporation is doing unethical research.

There are two interesting theories, neither of which I can take credit for:
  • The survivors are unwitting participants in a reality show.
  • The survivors are being subjected to a psychological experiment.

Unfortunately, I'd make a small wager that it'll turn out to be an "it was all a dream" thing.

Anyway, for now I'm watching because the flashbacks are interesting enough even though nothing gets accomplished on the island. Funny how some people have had multiple flashbacks, or even showed up in other people's flashbacks (Jack, Charlie, Sawyer, Kate), but they still haven't showed a flashback for the fat dude, Hurley.

2 comments:

P.G. Holyfield said...

I still think it is that they are dead and in purgatory. They're thoughts become reality; they have to work through their problems from their life until they reach the point where they can either go to hell or to heaven...

But like you said, I think they are making it up as they go along.

Anonymous said...

MP,
My friend's sister is writing for the show now. I've not seen it. Doesn't the short shrift always happen with shows that you start out liking -- what's that about?
Steph