Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Cruise Day 4: Roatan, Honduras


It started raining hard as we pulled into the port, so we had to break out our ponchos. Things weren't looking too good as our tour bus drove us to Gumbalima Park, but the skies cleared and we had a pretty good day.

The park had a mock pirate's cave that was a bit cheesy, but the animals in another part of the park made up for that. Some extremely friendly white-faced and howler monkeys jumped on us. One white-faced monkey jumped on me twice. It curled its tail around my neck and freaked me out. I think it was fascinated with my braids.

I had a local girl rebraid my hair, so I don't feel so violated now.

There were a lot of pretty parrots at the park. Very tame also. They climbed up people's arms and posed for pictures.

At the conclusion of the tour we had a good lunch -- two lobster tails each and some well-seasoned rice.

On a side note, I was intrigued to see that the people of Roatan look a lot like Panamanians. They speak English with West Indian accents also.

No comments: