Things have quieted now that martial law has been in place for about a week, but for a while it looked like France was in some deep shit. For about three weeks there had been rioting by young men following the death of two Muslim teenagers who were electrocuted while fleeing from the cops.
It all seems really familiar…
- The Muslims make up about 10% of the population. Check.
- They are decedents of people who were subjugated by Europeans. Check.
- They have an unemployment rate that is double or triple that of the norm. Check.
- Leaders in the majority population refer to them as scum. Check.
- The immigrants and their French-born children haven’t assimilated into French culture the way the majority would like them to. Check.
You put the same ingredients together, the same soufflé comes out the freaking oven, oui?
I’m not with torching your own neighborhood, though. I mean, you gotta still live there after the smoke has cleared and now you’ve made it even shittier than it was before! DUH!
The only thing I find curious is that the impotent French government let the rioting spread to 300 cities and towns.
They seemed genuinely shocked that anyone in their nation was unhappy. One French guy that I saw last week on McNeil-Lehrer gave the following solution to ending the unrest:
“The parents of the angry youths should tell them to stay indoors. They can watch TV. They can make love to their girlfriends.”
Yo, I kid you not! That’s what the guy said. The kids should screw. That will make the problems go away.
Gotta love France! Over here they would've said that they need to pray, or something.