Thursday, July 28, 2005

Signs of the Apocalypse


This is how you know you're done.

I'm bored hearing the same songs over and over on my MP3 player, so I go to Billboard.com to see what the top 20 R&B singles are.

Who is "Bobby Valentino"? Who is "Pretty Ricky"? Will Bobby and Ricky be around in 5 years? 10?

On a hunch I click on the "1 Year Ago" button to see if I know any of those guys.

Move Ya Body by "Nina Sky featuring Jabba" was the number 4 cut.

JABBA??

This is looking bad.

I click the "5 Years Ago" button.

Okay, I feel a little better. I recognize the names "Sisquo," "Toni Braxton," and some others.

Still, shouldn't I know more than just the chorus of two songs?

I click the "10 Years Ago" button.

Much better! I know the top five songs! I remember some of the videos! I actually own number 3, One More Chance by Notorious B.I.G.! I am familiar with 14 of the top 25 songs!

I click the "15 Years Ago" button.

Slightly worse than 10 years ago. I know 12 of the songs and own The Power by Snap.

Conclusion?

It's been a loooong time since I cared about music, huh?

No comments: