Thursday, July 06, 2006

Welcome Back

I survived my first day back at work.

I was up way too early at 4:30 because Orlando was up and needed a feeding. I got to work a bit after 8, went to Medical to get a “fit for duty” card which I had to hand in to HR. I didn’t understand the “fit for duty” thing since the nurse in Medical didn’t do so much as take my pulse.

In HR they took the note from Medical and said go back to your department. No briefing or anything. So, I went back to my department. I immediately noticed that some intern had stolen my chair. I also noticed that the box that I rest my feet on was gone, but a plastic footrest that had previously been stolen from me was back, so I guess that’s (almost) a wash. That chair WILL be mine again.

There was a merger three days after I went on leave, so, as you would expect, there have been a lot of changes. The website has a new logo, a lot of consultants and full-time employees have been let go, and the org chart has been reshuffled. Some of the process documents I drafted before I left are no longer valid. The prices in the cafeteria have gone up, and the two lunch areas have been consolidated into one.

The day went by quickly, so that was good. I made it back home a bit after six. Orlando was asleep when I got in, but he was all smiles when he woke up. I guess he realized that I had disappeared for most of the day. So cute. Unfortunately I’m going to have to fight to get home by six, since one person in my group quit while I was away and a consultant has been given notice that she has to go at the end of the month. That’s too less people to do the same amount of work. *SIGH*

No comments: