Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Year Without a Santa Claus

Since we’re having a heatwave here in New York and I’m sweating like a mofo, I figure it’s appropriate to talk about Christmas.

I came across a news article the other day announcing that NBC is remaking one of my favorite holiday specials, The Year Without a Santa Claus. The original 1974 show featured the trademarked Rankin-Bass stop motion animation, but the live-action remake features John Goodman, Chris Kattan, Ethan Suplee, Eddie Griffin and Carol Kane. With a cast like that the remake could be really hilarious, or really, REALLY bad.

I’m not sure why I liked the original. I think it was the feuding elemental titans “Heat Miser” and “Snow Miser.” They had catchy theme music. Snow Miser busts out this rhyme when Santa's elves come to him for help:

I'm Mister White Christmas
I'm Mister Snow
I'm Mister Icicle
I'm Mister Ten Below
Friends call me Snow Miser
Whatever I touch
Turns to snow in my clutch
I'm too much!

So then the elves go to see Snow Miser’s brother, Heat Miser to try to cut a deal with him. Not to be outdone, the other titan shoots back (as if in a rap battle) with:

I'm Mister Green Christmas
I'm Mister Sun
I'm Mister Heat Blister
I'm Mister Hundred and One
They call me Heat Miser
Whatever I touch
Starts to melt in my clutch
I'm too much!

I don’t see how a live-action version can top this, but we’ll see.

Technorati Tags:





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...No. This can't be good. And it's probably not even going to fall into that "So Bad It's Good" realm. This will be a trainwreck.