Sunday, August 07, 2005

Cruise: Day 1 - Miami


I ended up staying up until 2:30 in the morning, despite having packed a week before. I always do that.

The taxi ride to La Guardia was quick and unevenful. No problem with checking in at the airport. There wasn't much available to purchase for breakfast so I had two bites of a ham and cheese croissant and threw the rest away.

I dozed through the 3-hour flight, but I was very uncomfortable. The flight was packed.

The transfer from the Miami airport to the pier was smooth. They put our bags in a truck and we went in a separate bus to the pier. We breezed through the check in since I had filled out the forms online. We had our picture taken on the gangplank, then we boarded Explorer of the Seas.

Our room has a balcony, a welcome change from the last two cruises we took, both with interior cabins. Cheaper, but claustrophobic.

We've been on Renaissance and Norweigian cruises before. I had no problem with the other two cruise lines, but I was surprised to see that this Royal Caribbean ship is nicer. The decor is a bit more elaborate and I like the Promonade area that looks like a mall, complete with cafes and shops.

There have been a smattering of non-whites on the previous cruises we've been on, but there are a lot more minorities on this cruise. There are also a lot more children and teens.

The only disappointment so far has been the food. It was average to poor and the portions were small.

No comments: