Friday, August 19, 2005

Snoop Dogg and Chrysler. For Shizzle?

Homies
I wonder how the staff meeting in which it was proposed that making a commercial with Lee Iacocca and Snoop Dogg was a good idea went down?

Don't get me wrong -- the commercial is cute. Snoop and Lee are depicted as golf buddies and Snoop is wearing some goofy pastel argyle stuff. And I've heard that Snoop really does like Chrysler cars. Supposedly he personally called Chrysler company president and CEO Dieter Zetsche last year asking for a 300C sedan. I'm not sure why he couldn't just go to a dealership to get one though.

But...

Isn't Snoop a convicted felon? Wasn't he busted on cocaine charges in 1990? At what point did he become wholesome enough to push cars for an institution like Chrysler?

The real question on my mind is, who is the commercial supposed to attract? White (adult) consumers would be turned off by Snoop, I would think. And will (young) black consumers consider Chrysler cars fly because of Snoop? He's getting kinda old for that market, isn't he?

No comments: