Tuesday, October 11, 2005

We Suck!


We suck ass!

Okay, I feel better now.

Actually, I’m not really bothered by last night’s total ass whipping by the Angels. The Yankees were clearly inferior. The Angels bested my team in every facet of baseball in this series. They had better starting pitching, better relief pitching, fewer errors, they stole more bases, they scored with less than two outs, and when there were runners in scoring position, they drove them home. The Yankees did none of that.

I do admit that I briefly though we had this game won. When that fat ass Bartolo Colon had to leave the game without getting a single out in the second inning, I was sure this was going to totally disrupt the Angel’s pen. We were going to feast on the rookie they brought in.

It didn’t happen.

After one shaky inning, he was fine.

Every Yankee that stepped to the plate seemed hell-bent on hitting a five-run homerun instead of trying to simply get on base. Only Jeter and Bubba Crosby seemed to have a clue and Bubba killed us when he and Sheffield had their Keystone Kops moment in the outfield and crashed into each other, causing two runs to score. That was the game right there. My only consolation was, “Thank GOD that wasn’t Bernie out there.” I wouldn't have wanted that image to be my last memory of Bernie with the Yanks.

I still love my team, but I have to take some time out to rip these two people:

  • Randy Johnson: Why the fuck were you able to pitch scoreless baseball last night in relief but you couldn’t do that when you started on Friday night?

  • A-Rod: Not one RBI! Not one homerun! And a do or die ninth inning in which we had three hits was all for naught because you hit into a double play! This is why we owned your ass when you played in Seattle!

I really don’t have a problem with anybody else. Jeter did what he always does -- he comes through. Posada redeemed himself for a lousy September in game 4 and single-handedly made game 5 possible with his slide into home and he called a masterful game for Chacon. Sheffield was making outs, but he was working the count every time, driving the ball, and collecting what few RBIs we got in the series. Giambi didn’t give us the three-run blasts that could’ve saved the series, but he did what the other people in the line-up should’ve been doing -- he kept getting on base! He had like a .500 on-base percentage! But there was no one to drive him in. Matsui was getting hits in four of the five games, but there was no one on for him to drive in! Even Al Leiter, playing on a team he has no love for, induced a double-play in game 4 and collected a win.

Anyway, it’s over. I don’t care who wins the ALCS and I don’t care who wins the World Series. Most likely it’s going to end up being the Cardinals vs. the Angels, but for perverse reasons I’d like the match up to be the Astros vs. the White Sox.

They’ve got three of the best ex-Yankee pitchers, after all.

2 comments:

BrewCards said...

As I was watching last night, I thought the Yanks are looking old. Unit looks 50, Matsui looks 50, even Sheff looks like he aged 10 years since he left the Braves. Crosby, Jeter, and A-Rod are the only guys that look like they are in their prime, and A-Rod forgot he is supposed to be the MVP. It should be an interesting offseason in New York.

Michelle Pessoa said...

Randy always rubbed me the wrong way, but we're stuck with him for two more years under his contract. :(

Matsui had some weird fielding problems late in the year, but I think he's worth keeping. He doesn't have a big contract and there really aren't that many decent outfielders available to take his place. The Yanks will probably be going after Tori (sp?) Hunter to fill Bernie's spot in center.

I liked Sheff a lot last year, but he started to run his mouth this season and that troubles me more than the dip in productivity. He probably needs to go, but who will take him?

But what we really need is reliable middle relief. Gordon is solid enough for the regular season, but he can't handle post season pressure. He's starting to remind me of Armando Benitez.

I can only hope that somewhere in the Yankee farm system are two young guys who are the equivalent to Jeff Nelson and Mike Stanton in their prime. Otherwise the 2006 Yankees will fold just like the 2005 Yankees did.